Sunday, February 28, 2016

Inductive Bible Study February 25

IBS Thursday February 25

1 Corinthians 9:19

“For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more.”

A servant to all. 1 Corinthians chapter 9 is Paul talking about self-denial. He recognizes our freedoms, even as Christians, but he calls for a denying of our own freedoms so that we might reach and impact more people for Christ. When we accept Jesus into our hearts, we are given the free gift of salvation, but rewards must be earned. Paul goes on in chapter 9, comparing Christianity to athletics. We as Christians all enter the race to run but still few win the prize. We are called to obtain that prize instead of just walking through the race just to get to the finish line as many of us do. It takes training and discipline to become good at any sport. In our faith it works the same way. That’s how we obtain an imperishable crown.

Hebrews 12:1-2 says,

“Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

To win this race that is set before us, we need to set our eyes on Jesus. We need to lay aside every weight and sin that keeps us from attaining all that He has in store for us in Heaven. As an athlete I had the freedom to eat anything I want, but I wanted to be great. Striving for this greatness I stopped eating candy and drinking soda to give me a little bit of a competitive edge. In my faith I have the freedom to spend my time waiting for my death or Christ’s return, but I choose to rather go on the offensive. I realized that I had weights and sins that easily ensnared me. As I began cutting things like television, social media, and bad relationships out of my life I began gaining endurance in my faith.

1 Corinthians 9:27 says, “But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.”

I don’t want to become disqualified from the race for my faith. That’s why I lay aside those things in my life that hinder my faith. I am forgiven of my sins, but I choose to give my best for God because of the hope I have in Heaven if I do run this race with endurance. I will fall short because that is human nature, but I will get back up and keep striving for the imperishable crown.


Application: Today I am going to go through my laptop, cell phone, and flash drive, and delete all unnecessary things that slow down my devices as a symbol of cutting out the things that weight me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment