Sunday, February 7, 2016

Beyond the Elementary Principles

IBS Friday February 5

Hebrews 6:12

“That you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.”

Through Jesus, we find salvation. This means eternal life after this life if we choose to believe that God sent His Son Jesus to die on the Cross for our sins. In Hebrews chapter 6, though, we find that there are “things that accompany salvation” (vs. 9). We can become believers but get stuck in the “elementary principles of Christ,” but we are called to “go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God” (vs. 1).

Revelations 12:11-2 says

“And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death. Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them!”

We are no longer to cling to the things of this life. We are to stop loving our lives as residents of this earth. God will give us free residency in Heaven with no expiration date. Even as Christians we can hang on to the things of this life like our possessions, habits, and relationships. When we do this we lose our hope in Heaven and our hearts become hardened.

I’ve found myself stuck here many times because of the treasures I’ve stored up for myself in this Earth and become so attached to.

In Matthew 6:20-21 says

“But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasures is, there your heart will be also.”

Storing up treasures in Heaven means going beyond the elementary principles of Christ and even enduring persecution.

Matthew 5:11-12 tells us how we can store up great reward in Heaven.

“Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecutes the prophets who were before you.”

The way I was relieved from my hardened heart towards God was when I realized that great reward is at stake if we choose to go after all that God has for us.

Psalms 51:12-13 says

“Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit. Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, and sinners shall be converted to You.

When God has spoiled you for the world, a great transformation happens. You lose your fear of being persecuted and dying because you look forward to what lays ahead in Heaven.

Application: How can I continue to loosen the grip I have on my life and put my faith and reward in Heaven? Today I will spend time searching the Bible for the hope that is in Heaven and write down what I find is true about heaven and ask God how I can begin storing up treasure in heaven. I will also continue to seek the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment