Saturday, February 13, 2016

Inductive Bible Study February 11

IBS Thursday February 11

Philippians 4:11

“Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content…”

Contentment: the ability to keep your joy through any state you find yourself in. Being content is something that is learned. People are not naturally content. I am not naturally content.

Growing up, I spent a lot of time desiring things that I did not have. I remember my parents buying a brand new GMC Yukon XL Denali in 2006. It was the last year they were making the older model. It was probably one of the nicest SUV’s made in 2006, but in 2007 they came out with a newer model of the Denali. I remember when I first saw a friend of ours who bought the newer one I became jealous and remember wishing my parents would have waited one more year to get the newer one.

One year I was the kid getting picked up from school in the nicest car out there, but the next year I was the kid getting picked up in the older car from school. That’s just how messed up my thinking was at the time. It took me a very long time to realize I had a problem with discontentment.

Once I did realize that it was a problem of mine, I became even more discontent because I knew I wanted these things that I did not have even more than I did before. As I God worked on me in this area, He began showing me how all is vanity. Material possessions do not go into Heaven, only what is done for God goes into Heaven. Life isn’t a battle for who has the newest car, it’s a spiritual battle.

Application: Today I will ask God that he gives me a spiritual mindset that is set on living for Him and that I will be able to drop my materialistic mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment