Sunday, August 28, 2016

Honoring the LORD First

Matthew 23:9
“And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.”

     We are commanded to honor our father and mother, yet Jesus tells us in Matthew 10:27, “Whoever loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of me…” The greatest commandment gives the most clarity on this son to parent relationship in Matthew 22:37-40, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it; you shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” What I believe God is saying is obey me first and foremost. He is the ultimate authority I am to obey. I am to honor my parents but God’s guidance is to be the judge of my decisions.

     The decisions I’ve had to make so far in my life have largely been influenced by my parents’ guidance. Doing sports, traveling, going to college, getting jobs, and future plans have been or are issues that I’ve had to bring before my parents, as well as many others. Perhaps the decision of the most tension and debate between my parents and I has been of going to university. After finishing my Associates Degree from community college while finishing high school, I was given the opportunity to go to the Potter’s Field Ministries Ignite Program. I knew God wanted me to go but it became a trial I had to walk through between my parents will and God’s will for my future. I did want to go to honor my parents by going to university but I knew I needed to obey God’s will, which was to spend a year away from home, seeking the Lord before I made any more moves that affected my future. Seven months into this program, I knew I made the right decision by obeying my heavenly Father. Obeying my heavenly Father’s guidance has opened so many opportunities and given me so many amazing experiences. I have learned and continued to learn a lot about God and trusting Him in this time that I could have only got by saying yes to His counsel.

     This does not rule out honoring my parents because it’s a commandment still. I do need more wisdom on my future and honoring my parents and that’s why this verse popped out to me when I read it. I do have a dad but he’s not my heavenly Father. I love my dad very much and want to show him respect the way God would have me. My dad really wants me to go to university, at least for my Bachelor’s in Business Degree. I want to go but I haven’t gotten clear counsel from the Lord about it. The opportunity is not very clear right now, but I can trust in God that He will give me counsel and wisdom on where to make the next move when the time is right.


Application: Pray and seek the Lord for wisdom and counsel from God on how to make decisions about life, particularly about going to university and what lies ahead of this season. Also, I will seek the Lord for how I can be obedient to Him and honor Him in the season I am in now so I don’t miss out on His presence now and how He would speak to me today, even concerning my future. Also, I will pray for a stronger trust in Him and letting Him be my Father, teaching me the way He would chose and guiding me in His ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment